During the Epilepsy Fellowship, you become proficient in:
- Outpatient management of patients with refractory epilepsy
- Interpreting long-term video EEG recordings
- Use of pre-surgical intracranial electrode recordings
- Deciding between resective surgery vs. brain stimulation for the treatment of refractory epilepsy
- Conducting clinical research
- Teaching residents and fellows
Those successfully completing the program are eligible for subspecialty certification in Epilepsy by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. The optional combined 2-year fellowship program better prepares candidates for an academic practice in a tertiary epilepsy center, offering a greater opportunity to become proficient at surgical treatments and also to become more involved in research studies.