Restrictive Covenant Policy
I. Purpose of Policy
The use of Restrictive Covenants may not be included in Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)-accredited residency and fellowship program trainee agreements at Dartmouth-Hitchcock (D-H).
II. Policy Scope
The policy applies to Graduate Medical Education staff and Program Directors for ACGME-accredited residency and fellowship programs at D-H.
Resident: Any physician in an ACMGE-accredited graduate medical education program including Residents and Fellows.
Restrictive Covenant: A non-competition guarantee in which an employee agrees not to enter into or start a similar profession or trade in competition against the employer.
IV. Policy Statement
- The ACGME specifically prohibits the use of Restrictive Covenants in trainee agreements.
- Neither Mary Hitchcock Memorial Hospital (MHMH) as the Sponsoring Institution, nor any of its ACGME-accredited training programs, require that a Resident sign a Restrictive Covenant.
ACGME Institutional Requirements. (2015). Retrieved from ACGME.org:
D-H Policy ID: 11315
- Table of Contents
- ACGME Competencies
- Eligibility & Selection
- Agreement of Appointment
- Confidential Reporting
- GME Policies
- Academic Improvement Policy
- Affiliation Agreement & Program Letters of Agreement Policy
- Appeal of Disciplinary Action Policy
- Disaster Policy
- Disciplinary Action Policy
- Domestic and International Off-Site Rotation Policy
- Eligibility & Selection Policies
- Evaluation Policy
- Extreme Emergent Situation Policy
- General Grievances Policy
- Governance of Shared Resources Policy
- Inbound Resident Rotators
- Leave of Absence Policy
- Medical Licensing Policy (USMLE) (COMLEX)
- Moonlighting Policy
- Permanent Complement Increase Request
- Program Closure and Reduction Policy
- Resident Agreement of Appointment Policy
- Resident Learning Environment Policy
- Resident Promotion Policy
- Resident Responsibilities Policy
- Resident Stipend Policy
- Resident Supervision Policy
- Resident Transfer Policy
- Restrictive Covenant Policy
- Review, Approval and Signature Policy
- Special Program Review Policy and Protocol
- Time Lost from Residency
- Transitions of Care Policy
- Work Hour Policy
- Institutional Policies