Research and Scholarly Activity
Juliette Madan, MD (current PGY4 resident)
Dr. Madan received support from the Psychiatry Department to start a new research based clinic in the novel area of neuroinflammation. She has teamed up with a pediatric neurologist and senior child psychiatrist at Dartmouth to create a multidisciplinary clinic within child psychiatry to see children with autoimmune and inflammatory mediated neuropsychiatric disorders. She and her team have included several of the psychiatry and pediatric residents and fellows, in both clinical care and in research endeavors.
National Center for PTSD
This center, located at the White River Junction, VT, brings together expertise in research and clinical care in PTSD.
The Center for Neuroscience
This interdisciplinary group focuses on education and research, drawing on basic science, clinical, and cognitive behavioral neuroscience. Psychiatry residents may work in both basic science and applied research settings with outstanding mentors.
Center for Technology and Behavioral Health
Informing and enhancing the development, evaluation, and implementation of novel technology-based interventions for substance-use and related disorders.
A research partnership in which the National Institute on Drug Abuse, researchers, and community-based providers develop, evaluate, and disseminate new prevention and treatment options for substance use disorders in community-based medical settings in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont.
Sampling of recent Resident publications, presentations and awards
- Jacobson NC, Lekkas D, Price G, Heinz MV, Song M, O'Malley AJ, Barr PJ. Flattening the Mental Health Curve: COVID-19 Stay-at-Home Orders Are Associated With Alterations in Mental Health Search Behavior in the United States. JMIR Ment Health. 2020 Jun 1;7(6):e19347. doi: 10.2196/19347. PMID: 32459186; PMCID: PMC7265799..
- Meng X*, Heinz MV*, Ganoe CH, Sieberg RT, Cheung YY, Hassanpour S. Understanding Urgency in Radiology Reporting: Identifying Associations Between Clinical Findings in Radiology Reports and Their Prompt Communication to Referring Physicians. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2019 Aug 21;264:1546-1547. doi: 10.3233/SHTI190527. PMID: 31438224.*co-first author
- Silverio AI, Squires MC, Knight JC (2019) Electroconvulsive Therapy for Depression When Substance Use Disorders are Comorbid: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. J Addict Res Ther 10:387.
- S. Stark, M.D., T. Nagarajan, M.D., R.K. Bailey M.D , D. Hairston, M.D. “Racism and Inequities in Health Care for Black Americans” APA Psychiatric News
- Singh SB, Madan J, Coker M, Hoen A, Baker ER, Karagas MR, Mueller NT. Does birth mode modify associations of maternal pre-pregnancy BMI and gestational weight gain with the infant gut microbiome? Int J Obes (Lond). 2020 Jan;44(1):23-32. doi: 10.1038/s41366-018-0273-0. Epub 2019 Feb 14. PMID: 30765892; PMCID: PMC6694002.
- Alberto GE, Rosen BJ, Ho PA. Narrative Reflections on the Role of Psychiatry Residents in the Early Days of the COVID-19 Pandemic. Acad Psychiatry. 2020 Jul 22:1–2. doi: 10.1007/s40596-020-01288-9. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32700237; PMCID: PMC7375704.
- Alberto, Greg. "Optogenetic activation of nonhuman primate cortical and subcortical brain circuits highlights detection capabilities of MEG source imaging". bioRxiv 2020.08.20.259465
- Kohrman SI, Rustad JK, Suhail-Sindhu T. Fortney TA, Finn CT, Stern TA. Self-inflicted limb amputation: A case of non-paraphilic, non-psychotic xenomelia. Psychosomatics. Jan-Feb 2020;61(1):70-75 PMID 31053421
- Caffrey D, Arsan C. Finn CT. Stiff Person Syndrome and Psychiatric Comorbidities: A Systematic Review. Psychosomatics.in press
- Stanciu CN, Gibson S, Teja N, Healey CJ. An Efficient and Smooth Methadone-to-Buprenorphine Transition Protocol Utilizing a Transdermal Fentanyl Bridge and a Pharmacokinetic Inducer: The Stanciu Method. Cureus. 2020 May 27;12(5):e8310. doi: 10.7759/cureus.8310. PMID: 32607294; PMCID: PMC7320635.
- Perlson, J.E., Walters, O.C., Keuroghlian, A.S. (2020). Envisioning a Future for Transgender and Gender-Diverse People Beyond the DSM. The British Journal of Psychiatry, online publication, pending print. PMID 32583756.
- Ho PA, Stern TA, Rustad JK. "Moon River": Intact Musical Appreciation and Performance in a Man With Semantic Variant Primary Progressive Aphasia. Psychosomatics. 2019 Jan-Feb;60(1):70-74. doi: 10.1016/j.psym.2018.03.013. Epub 2018 Apr 3. PMID: 29779573.
- Ho PA, Dahle DN, Noordsy DL. Why Do People With Schizophrenia Exercise? A Mixed Methods Analysis Among Community Dwelling Regular Exercisers. Front Psychiatry. 2018 Nov 13;9:596. doi: 10.3389/fpsyt.2018.00596. PMID: 30483166;
- Laue HE, Moroishi Y, Jackson BP, Palys TJ, Madan JC, Karagas MR. Nutrient-toxic element mixtures and the early postnatal gut microbiome in a United States longitudinal birth cohort. Environ Int. 2020 May;138:105613. doi: 10.1016/j.envint.2020.105613. Epub 2020 Mar 3. PMID: 32142916; PMCID: PMC7136131.
- Laue HE, Korrick SA, Baker ER, Karagas MR, Madan JC. Prospective associations of the infant gut microbiome and microbial function with social behaviors related to autism at age 3 years. Sci Rep. 2020 Sep 23;10(1):15515. doi: 10.1038/s41598-020-72386-9. PMID: 32968156; PMCID: PMC7511970.
- Zhou J, Viles WD, Lu B, Li Z, Madan JC, Karagas MR, Gui J, Hoen AG. Identification of microbial interaction network: zero-inflated latent Ising model based approach. BioData Min. 2020 Oct 7;13:16. doi: 10.1186/s13040-020-00226-7. PMID: 33042226; PMCID: PMC7542390.
- Walters, O.C., Perlson, J.E., Porcelan, J., Close, H. “Advancing Gender-Affirming Practices in Psychiatry Residency and Medical Student Training.” GLMA Annual Conference, virtual workshop, September 25, 2020.
- Nagarajan, T., Walters, O.C. “Advancing Affirming Practices for Transgender and Gender-Diverse Youth.” Poster session presented at the Annual Meeting of the New Hampshire Psychiatric Society, September 2, 2020, virtual conference.
- Walters, O.C., Jankowski, M.K. “Considerations in Mental Health Care for LGBTQ+ Youth.” New Hampshire ProHealth Initiative Conference. Concord, NH, September 18, 2019.
- Kohrman, S.I., Walters, O.C. “What happens when the bus crashes? A case of dissociation secondary to Trimethoprim-Sulfamethoxazole use.” Poster session presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Psychiatric Association, May 2019, San Francisco, CA.
- Ho, Patrick. “Neurocognitive and Decision Making Impairments in Patients with Comorbid Diabetes Mellitus and Depression.” APA 2018
- Doumlele, Kyra. “The use of DXM for alcohol withdrawal.” SUNY Downstate Psychiatry Grand Rounds, 2020
- Nemesure, M.D., Heinz, M.V., Huang, R., & Jacobson, N.C. “Predictive Modeling of Psychiatric Illness using Electronic Medical Records and a Novel Machine Learning Approach with Artificial Intelligence.” Oral symposium presented at Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT) in November 2020 Philadelphia, PA. #
- Heinz M, Tauber K, Schleyer W, Keller W. “Topiramate Induced Psychosis: A Case Study and Comprehensive Literature Review.” Poster presented at the annual meeting of British Neuropsychiatry Association, London, UK. (2020, March)
- Meng X*, Heinz MV*, Ganoe CH, Sieberg RT, Cheung YY, Hassanpour S. “Understanding Urgency in Radiology Reporting: Identifying Associations Between Clinical Findings in Radiology Reports and Their Prompt Communication to Referring Physicians.” Poster presented at the Medical Informatics International Conference, Lyon, France. (2019, August)
- Wilson B, McCord S, Ley M, Heinz MV. “Feedback CPR: Breathing New Life Into Evaluations of Medical Students and Trainees.” Panelist American Psychiatric Association 2019 Conference, San Francisco, CA.
- Kohrman SI, Arsan CA et al., “Electronic Psychiatric Consultations in a Primary Care Setting.” Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry Annual Meeting; Virtual due to COVID. November 2020.
- NH Young Professional of the Year Award: Patrick Ho
- Linda von Reyn TDI certificate scholarship, 2019-2020: Oakland Walters
- Exceptional service by a Resident Physician award, 2019: Patrick Ho
- New Hampshire Psychiatric Society Annual Poster Competition, First place, 2020: Oakland Walters
- New Hampshire Psychiatric Society Annual Poster Competition, Runner-Up, 2020: Michael Heinz
- NNCI Scholarship recipient: Thara Nagarajan Former NNCI scholarship recipients, Amanda Silverio, MD and Elizabeth Schwartz, MD
- The Matthew S. T. Winer M.D. Award for Humanism & Excellence in Community Psychiatry, 2020: Matthew Squires
- DHMC resident teaching award, 2019: Nicholas Welsh
- Gold Humanism and Excellence in Teaching Award, Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth, 2018: Michael Heinz
Research faculty VAMC White River Junction
- Max Levis, PhD – Suicide prediction using electronic records; diagnostic assessment; and mental health promotion with online tools.
- Natalie Riblet, MD, MPH – Suicide prevention in the post-discharge period.
- Vince Watts, MD, MPH – rTMS as a stand-alone PTSD treatment; the relationship between effective mental health treatments; suicide in real-world practice.
- Brian Shiner, MD, MPH – Quality and effectiveness of treatment for PTSD; suicide prevention in real-world practice.
- Paul Holtzheimer, MD, MS – Somatic treatments for PTSD and depression; biomarkers of treatment response.
- Lauren Sippel, PhD – Medication-assisted psychotherapy
- Nancy Bernardy, PhD – Improving quality of rural PTSD care
- Paula Schnurr, PhD – Large pragmatic trials of PTSD treatments and shared decision making for PTSD
- Matt Friedman, MD, PhD – National brain banking studies of the genetic basis of PTSD and TBI pathology
- Jessica Hamblen, PhD – Use of educational tools to promote engagement in PTSD care
- Krystal Noller, PhD – Mechanisms of TBI pathology in blast injury
- Yinong Young-Xu, ScD, MS, MA – Pharmaco-epidemiology and causal analysis, including studies of psychotropics, antivirals, and vaccines
- Welcome from the Program Leadership
- Current Residents
- Program Graduates
- Program Highlights
- Resident Well-Being
- How to Apply
- Contact Us