Please review the GME Resident Well-Being Policy. This policy defines the ways in which Residents are supported in their efforts to become competent, caring and resilient physicians while completing Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)-accredited training programs at Dartmouth-Hitchcock (D-H).
VA Medical Center Whole Health Rotation
The VA’s Whole Health program is a multi-faceted approach to health which grew out of the VA’s practice of patient-centered care. During the VA Whole Health rotation, residents use the Whole Health approach to assess and refocus on their own well-being, and in turn apply these approaches in working with complex VA patients.
Residents also have the opportunity to explore the many programs the VA offers in the five domains of diet, sleep, exercise, pain, and spirituality and social connection. Activities available range from adaptive sports like kayaking and bicycling to battlefield acupuncture to working with hospital chaplains. The rotation also affords time to read developing literature on the connections between these five domains, for example, the impact of sleep on diet, of social connection on pain, and so on.
Upper Valley Life
Lebanon, New Hampshire was Rated Best Small Town in America. There are many outdoor activities available in the Upper Valley for all seasons. Activities include:
- Road biking, gravel biking, fat tire biking, mountain biking
- Hiking in the white mountains of NH, the green mountains of VT, hiking segments of the Appalachian trail, the Long Trail (VT)
- Rock climbing, ice climbing
- Swimming outdoors and indoor facilities during the winter
- Sailing, water skiing on many lakes
- Kayaking, sculling, rowing canoeing, paddle boarding on Connecticut River or lakes
- Skiing, alpine, XC, back country
- Ice skating, hockey
- Maple sugaring
The cultural opportunities in the upper Valley are similar to towns of 300,000 or more, likely due to the influences of Dartmouth College and Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center.
- Hopkins Center at Dartmouth College has numerous theatre events, concerts, films, including 5-6 films previewed for the Telluride film festival before public viewing.
- Opera North and the Lebanon Opera House in Lebanon, NH provide high quality theatre and opera productions, in addition to live concerts.
- Northern Stage in White River Junction, VT is the preeminent year-round theater company in the region, offering professional productions of world premieres, classics, and musicals.
- Museums: the Hood Museum at Dartmouth; Montshire Museum of Science in Norwich, VT
- Vermont Institute of Natural Sciences
- The Upper Valley Trails Alliance (UVTA) strives to form and support partnerships with any town, organization or person in the Upper Valley willing to work on the improvement and sustainable development of public trails.
View area photos by visiting the Instagram links below:
- Boston: 2 – 2.5 hours by Dartmouth Coach
- NYC: 4 hours by Dartmouth Coach
- Montreal: 3 hours by car