Nicholas J. Olson, MD
Nicholas J. Olson, MD
- 2011, M.D. University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- 2006, B.A. Biology and Chemistry, Concordia College, Moorhead, Minnesota
Honors and awards
- 2017, 1st Place in the Duel in Dermatopathology Resident Abstract Competition at the 54th Annual Meeting of The American Society of Dermatopathology
- A novel case of aggressive cutaneous spindle cell sarcoma with EML4-NTRK3 fusion resembling dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans, Platform, American Society of Dermatopathology (ASDP), Baltimore, Maryland, October, 2017
- Tracking blood components issued during massive transfusion protocols, Poster, American Association of Blood Banks (AABB) Annual Meeting, Orlando, Florida, October 22-25, 2016
- Discovery of ETV6-NTRK3 Gene Fusion in a Retroperitoneal Leiomyosarcoma, Poster, College of American Pathologists (CAP) Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, Nevada, September 27, 2016
- Gene Panel Testing in Myloid Neoplasms - Searching for Mutational Patters, Poster, College of American Pathologists (CAP) Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, Nevada, September 26, 2016
- Lymphocytic Esophagitis with CD8 T-cell Predominance may be Associated with Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, Poster, United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology (USCAP) Annual Meeting, March 12-18, 2016, Seattle, Washington
- Cryoprecipitate as a Quality Control Material for Cyroglobulin Analysis, Poster, American Association for Clinical Chemistry (AACC) Annual Meeting, Atlanta, Georgia, July 28, 2015
- Reducing Excessive Inpatient Phenytoin Level Orders - A Test Utilization Review, Poster, American Association for Clinical Chemistry (AACC) Annual Meeting, Atlanta, Georgia, July 29, 2015
- Intracranial hemorrhage due to a rare factor I inhibitor with lupus anticoagulant like properties, Poster, College of American Pathologists (CAP) Annual Meeting, Nashville, Tennessee, October, 2015
- Sclerodermoid Graft-Versus-Host Disease of an Abdominal Wall Allograft in a Multiorgan Transplant Patient, Poster, American Society of Dermatopathology (ASDP) Annual Meeting, San Francisco, California, October 8, 2015
- Improving the quality of care by decreasing excessive lab draws during phenytoin monitoring, Poster, The Annual American Association of Clinical Chemistry (AACC) Northeast Section Poster Session Meeting, April 16, 2015, Waltham, Massachusetts
- Olson NJ, Addante RR, de Abreu FB, Memoli VA. Central xanthoma of the jaw in association with Noonan syndrome. Hum Pathol. 2018 May 1. PMID: 29727697
- Olson NJ, Linos K. Dedifferentiated Solitary Fibrous Tumor: A Concise Review. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2018 Jun;142(6):761-766. PMID: 29848035
- Olson NJ, Seidel GD, Linos K. Painful Skin Nodule on the Finger of a 59-Year-Old: Answer. Am J Dermatopathol. 2018 Apr;40(4):299-300. PMID: 29561330
- Olson NJ, Seidel GD, Linos K. Painful Skin Nodule on the Finger of a 59 Year Old: Challenge. Am J Dermatopathol. 2018 Apr;40(4):e46-e47. PMID: 29561333
- Olson NJ, Ornstein DL. Hematuria in a Former Smoker. Clin Chem. 2017 Nov;63(11):1774. PMID: 29089325
- Olson NJ, Seidel GD, Linos K. Painful Skin Nodule on the Finger of a 59 Year Old. Am J Dermatopathol. 2017 Oct 12. PMID: 29053495
- Olson NJ, Finley DJ, Tsapakos MJ, Wong SL, Linos K. Nodular Fasciitis of the Posterior Chest Wall With Bone Invasion Mimicking a Malignant Neoplasm. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017 May;103(5):e405-e407. PMID: 28431711
- Olson NJ, Shajani-Yi Z, Cervinski MA, Ornstein DL. Prolonged Bleeding in a 34-Year-Old Man following Oral Surgery. Clin Chem. 2016 Dec;62(12):1676-1677.
- Olson NJ, Cervinski MA, Ornstein DL. Sudden Severe Bleeding in a Patient with Hemochromatosis: Liver Failure or Something Else? Clin Chem. 2016 Dec;62(12):1674-1675.
- Dunbar NM, Olson NJ, Szczepiorkowski ZM, Martin ED, Tysarcyk RM, Triulzi DJ, Alarcon LH, Yazer MH. Blood component transfusion and wastage rates in the setting of massive transfusion in three regional trauma centers. Transfusion. 2016 Oct 23.
- Olson NJ, Robert D, Hedayat AA, Liu X, Ornstein DL. Fatal hemorrhage due to a spontaneous factor V inhibitor with lupus anticoagulant properties. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 2016 Sep 24. PMID: 27676645
- Olson NJ, Perry AE, Linos K. Cytokeratin-positive fibroblastic reticular cell: a pitfall for dermatopathologists assessing lymph nodes for Merkel cell carcinoma. J Cutan Pathol. 2016 Sep 19. PMID: 27640340
- Wang SJ, Olson NJ, Kieffer KA. A picture's worth: giant cell arteritis. Am J Med. 2016 Sep;129(9):942-4. PMID: 27215906
- Olson NJ, Wimmer DB, Croitoru DP, Barton DT, Seidel GD, Shane Chapman M, Linos K. Scleromatous Changes in an Abdominal Wall Graft: Graft-Versus-Graft Disease, or Chronic Graft Rejection? Am J Dermatopathol. 2016 May 3.
- Olson N, Yerrabothala S, Dunbar N. Successful use of cryocrit for monitoring response to therapeutic plasma exchange in type 1 cryoglobulinemia. J Clin Apher. 2015 Jul 21.
Why I enjoy the pathology program at DHMC
I feel that the most important thing in the pathology department at DHMC is education. Everyone from support staff to attendings are very interested in teaching. The pathology department at DHMC also feels like a family. We not only know everyone in the department, but we also know their spouses and family. Residency is a hard transition for everybody and I feel that this department has made that transition much easier for me and my wife.
Nic is a Minnesota native and thus likes hockey, hiking, cold temperatures, and any sport in general. Nic spent two years in the anesthesiology program here at Dartmouth-Hitchcock before switching to pathology. Nic and his wife are enjoying their new baby.
- How to Apply
- About the Program
- Our Residents
- Contact Us