Resident Transfer Policy
I. Purpose of Policy
Defines the transfer process for Applicants wanting to transfer from an external Graduate Medical Education (GME) program to an Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)-accredited program at Dartmouth-Hitchcock (D-H).
II. Policy Scope
This policy applies to Applicants looking to transfer to an ACGME-accredited residency and fellowship program at Dartmouth-Hitchcock (D-H).
Applicant: Any eligible Medical Doctor (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathy (DO) invited to interview with a GME program.
Resident: Any physician in an ACMGE-accredited graduate medical education program including Residents and Fellows.
CanMEDS: A medical education framework developed by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada that emphasizes the essential competencies of a physician.
IV. Policy Statement
- All applicants must meet all Graduate Medical Education (GME) eligibility requirements in order to be considered for selection as a transfer Resident to a ACGME-accredited graduate medical education program at D-H.
- Before accepting a Resident transfer from another training program, the D-H Program Director must obtain:
- A written or electronic verification of the prior educational experience, and
- A summative, competency-based performance evaluation of the transferring Resident.
- Verification of the Resident’s level of competency in the required clinical field using ACGME or CanMEDS Milestones assessments from the prior training program.
- For any Resident transferring from a D-H training program to another program prior to completion of training, the D-H Program Director must:
- Provide timely written or electronic verification of residency education, and
- A summative, competency-based performance evaluation for the Resident.
- For programs with an ACGME-based case log requirement the Program Director must arrange for transfer of ACGME Case Log data after Resident’s acceptance into the program.
D-H Policy ID: 11277
- Table of Contents
- ACGME Competencies
- Eligibility & Selection
- Agreement of Appointment
- Confidential Reporting
- GME Policies
- Academic Improvement Policy
- Affiliation Agreement & Program Letters of Agreement Policy
- Appeal of Disciplinary Action Policy
- Disaster Procedure
- Disciplinary Action Policy
- Domestic and International Off-Site Rotation Policy
- Eligibility & Selection Policies
- Evaluation Policy
- Extreme Emergent Situation Policy
- General Grievances Policy
- Governance of Shared Resources Policy
- Inbound Resident Rotators Policy
- Leave of Absence Policy
- Medical Licensing Policy (USMLE) (COMLEX)
- Moonlighting Policy
- Permanent Complement Increase Request
- Program Closure and Reduction Policy
- Resident Agreement of Appointment Policy
- Resident Learning Environment Policy
- Resident Promotion Policy
- Resident Responsibilities Policy
- Resident Stipend Policy
- Resident Supervision Policy
- Resident Transfer Policy
- Restrictive Covenant Policy
- Review, Approval and Signature Policy
- Special Program Review Policy and Protocol
- Time Lost from Residency
- Transitions of Care Policy
- Well-Being Policy
- Work Hour Policy
- Institutional Policies