The primary goal of the inpatient consultation is to develop the skills necessary for the diagnostic assessment and medical management of complex pulmonary disorders in hospitalized patients on medical, surgical, and critical care services.
Primary education venues
Fellows see inpatients at MHMH and at the White River Junction, VT, VA hospital.
- New inpatient consults and follow-ups with assistance managing floor team patients when necessary.
- Evaluation and management of urgent outpatient and emergency department patients.
Consult attending teaching rounds
- Discussion and examination of new consult patients.
- Clinical updates, re-evaluation, and review of test results on continuing consults.
- Bedside review of pertinent physical findings.
- Staff review of fellow documentation.
- Review of core topics in consultative medicine and in-depth teaching on clinical problems seen by the consult team.
- Arranging and performing conventional and interventional bronchoscopic and percutaneous procedures, when appropriate.
- During the second and third year, the inpatient consultation fellow will have the opportunity to triage urgent cases with the staff attending and assign cases and/or procedures to the appropriate pulmonary attending/clinic.