Research and Clinical Electives
Common clinical electives
- Thoracic Oncology and Advanced Bronchoscopy: Under the supervision of DHMC faculty the fellow will have an opportunity to perform endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration, YAG-laser cautery, argon plasma coagulation, and airway dilatation and stenting. This elective includes time with the Radiation Oncology service, in the Cytopathology lab, and with the Thoracic Surgery team, tailored to fit the fellow’s interests and needs.
- Pulmonary Function Lab: This mandatory two-week rotation includes performing and interpreting measurement of pulmonary function in the PFT laboratories at the VA and DHMC, including review of methacholine bronchoprovocation testing and supervision of cardiopulmonary exercise testing.
- Sleep Laboratory: This elective includes time in the DHMC accredited sleep laboratory including evaluation of new consultations, and review and interpretation of polysomnography.
- Cystic Fibrosis Clinic: Opportunities are available to evaluate patients with cystic fibrosis (CF) at the monthly multidisciplinary CF clinic at DHMC and at the Manchester, NH DHMC satellite.
- Chest Radiology: An elective with our trained chest radiologists will have an emphasis on interpretation of both plain film imaging and computed tomography of the thorax.
- Interventional Radiology: Time spent with the interventional radiology service will provide an opportunity to gain additional experience performing tube thoracostomy, as well as other drainage procedures including the placement of indwelling PleuRX catheters.
- Operative Anesthesiology: Partnering with an attending anesthesiologist for an elective in the operating room will emphasize airway management and hemodynamic monitoring under anesthesia.
The program encourages and facilitates electives in other areas relevant to the fellow's interests. During the past several years, trainees have learned echocardiography, worked in the pediatric intensive care unit, concentrated intensive training in interventional bronchoscopy, and traveled to off-site electives in Europe, Canada, Africa, as well as at leading centers in the United States.