B Team: General Urology, Endourology, Female Urology
Faculty: Drs. Bettencourt, Bihrle, Gormley, Gross, and Pais
- Develop a knowledge base of general urologic diseases, such as BPH, erectile dysfunction, infertility evaluation of hematuria, and urinary tract infection.
- Gain outpatient experience with the medical management of common urologic diseases.
- Gain surgical skills associated with the treatment of general urologic diseases as described above.
- Gain experience in the spectrum of postoperative care and long-term followup of patients after common urologic surgical procedures.
- Develop a knowledge base for decision making regarding use of endourologic surgical therapies for stone disease and obstruction.
- Learn basic principles of access to the kidney, percutaneous endourologic procedures, and ureteroscopic and cystoscopic endourologic procedures.
- Expand knowledge of the preoperative evaluation of female incontinence and neurourology.
- Develop surgical skills in the management of female urologic problems and incontinence.
- Learn about postoperative management and long-term care of patients with female urologic, incontinence and neurourologic problems.
- Develop a knowledge base of the management of patients with neurogenic bladders resulting from spinal cord injury.
- Evaluate and treat patients in the outpatient setting who present with general urologic problems including BPH, erectile dysfunction, infertility, stones, hematuria, and urinary tract infection.
- Demonstrate competency in the surgical treatment of BPH, including transurethral resection of the prostate and open prostatectomy.
- Demonstrate competency in the surgical management of erectile dysfunction, including outpatient medical management as well as insertion of penile prosthesis, including pre- and post-operative care.
- Evaluate patients at the time of initial presentation for possible endourologic therapies.
- Demonstrate competency in access to the upper urinary tract via the bladder.
- Demonstrate competency in ureteroscopy, including stone manipulation, laser treatment of stones, and treatment of ureteral strictures.
- Increase knowledge of percutaneous treatment for stone disease and obstruction.
- Identify and manage postoperative endourologic complications.
- Follow endourologic patients postoperatively in the outpatient setting with the attending physician.
- For patients with incontinence, interstitial cystitis, neurogenic problems, recurrent UTIs, urethral diverticula and fistulas, or pelvic pain, evaluate with a history, physical examination, and additional tests such as urodynamics, and formulate a treatment plan that could include behavioral therapy, pelvic floor therapy, biofeedback, medical management or surgery.
- Demonstrate competency in the surgical treatment of all aspects of female urology.
- Demonstrate competency in the surgical treatment of neuropathic bladders, including complex lower urinary tract reconstructions.
- Follow over the long term outpatients with incontinence, interstitial cystitis, pelvic pain and non-neurogenic and neurogenic voiding dysfunction.
- Evaluate acute spinal cord injury patients and initiate management.
- Evaluate and manage urologic aspects of patients with long-standing lower urinary tract dysfunction secondary to spinal cord injury.