I. Purpose of policy
Defines the transfer process for Applicants wanting to transfer from an external Graduate Medical Education (GME) program to an Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)-accredited program at Dartmouth-Hitchcock (D-H).
II. Policy scope
This policy applies to Applicants looking to transfer to an ACGME-accredited residency and fellowship program at Dartmouth-Hitchcock (D-H).
Applicant: Any eligible Medical Doctor (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathy (DO) invited to interview with a GME program.
Resident: Any physician in an ACMGE-accredited graduate medical education program including Residents and Fellows.
CanMEDS: A medical education framework developed by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada that emphasizes the essential competencies of a physician.
IV. Policy statement
- All applicants must meet all Graduate Medical Education (GME) eligibility requirements in order to be considered for selection as a transfer Resident to a ACGME-accredited graduate medical education program at D-H.
- Before accepting a Resident transfer from another training program, the D-H Program Director must obtain:
- A written or electronic verification of the prior educational experience, and
- A summative, competency-based performance evaluation of the transferring Resident.
- Verification of the Resident’s level of competency in the required clinical field using ACGME or CanMEDS Milestones assessments from the prior training program.
- For any Resident transferring from a D-H training program to another program prior to completion of training, the D-H Program Director must:
- Provide timely written or electronic verification of residency education, and
- A summative, competency-based performance evaluation for the Resident.
- For programs with an ACGME-based case log requirement the Program Director must arrange for transfer of ACGME Case Log data after Resident’s acceptance into the program.
D-H Policy ID: 11277