Please review the GME Resident Well-Being Policy. This policy defines the ways in which Residents are supported in their efforts to become competent, caring and resilient physicians while completing Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) - accredited training programs at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center. GME also provides residents access to an exclusive onsite gym, open 24/7 and available only to residents and fellows.
Veteran's Affairs Medical Center Whole Health Rotation
The Veteran's Affairs Medical Center's (VAMC's) Whole Health program is a multi-faceted approach to health which grew out of the VAMC’s practice of patient-centered care. During the VAMC Whole Health rotation, residents use the Whole Health approach to assess and refocus on their own well-being, and in turn apply these approaches in working with complex VAMC patients.
Residents also have the opportunity to explore the many programs the VA offers in the 5 domains of diet, spirituality and social connection, sleep, exercise, and pain. Activities available range from adaptive sports like kayaking and bicycling to battlefield acupuncture or working with hospital chaplains.
Upper Valley life
Lebanon, New Hampshire was rated Best Small Town in America. There are many outdoor activities available in the Upper Valley for all seasons. Activities include:
- Hiking in the white mountains of New Hampshire, the green mountains of Vermont, hiking segments of the Appalachian Trail, the Long Trail in Vermont
- Ice skating, hockey
- Kayaking, sculling, rowing canoeing, paddle boarding on Connecticut River or lakes
- Maple sugaring
- Road biking, gravel biking, fat tire biking, mountain biking
- Rock climbing, ice climbing
- Sailing, water skiing on many lakes
- Skiing, alpine, XC, back country
- Swimming outdoors and indoor facilities during the winter
The cultural opportunities in the upper Valley are similar to towns of 300,000 or more, likely due to the influences of Dartmouth College and Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center.
- Hopkins Center at Dartmouth College has numerous theatre events, concerts, films, including 5 or 6 films previewed for the Telluride film festival before public viewing.
- Museums: the Hood Museum at Dartmouth; Montshire Museum of Science in Norwich, VT
- Northern Stage in White River Junction, Vermont, is the preeminent year-round theater company in the region, offering professional productions of world premieres, classics, and musicals.
- Opera North and the Lebanon Opera House in Lebanon, New Hampshire, provide high-quality theatre and opera productions, in addition to live concerts.
- The Upper Valley Trails Alliance (UVTA) strives to form and support partnerships with any town, organization or person in the Upper Valley willing to work on the improvement and sustainable development of public trails.
- Vermont Institute of Natural Sciences
View area photos by visiting the Instagram links below:
- Boston: 2 – 2.5 hours by Dartmouth Coach
- NYC: 4 hours by Dartmouth Coach
- Montreal: 3 hours by car