Residents’ physical, psychological and emotional well-being is of paramount importance to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center and the Neurology Residency Program. Residents are encouraged to lead healthy lives and make healthy choices that support them in their personal and professional growth.
Graduate Medical Education (GME) wellness
Please review the GME Resident Well-Being Policy. This policy defines the ways in which Residents are supported in their efforts to become competent, caring and resilient physicians while completing Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) - accredited training programs at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center. GME also provides residents access to an exclusive onsite gym, open 24/7 and available only to residents and fellows.
Some of the activities sponsored by the GME office to support Resident well-being are:
- Resident & Fellow picnic: A catered lunch held late August, outdoors on-site.
- Halloween celebration: Snacks, candy, coffee, apple cider and a pumpkin carving contest (via photos) held the business day closest to Halloween in the GME office.
- Annual cookie contest: In early December, entrants bring in 2 dozen cookies to win prizes for best tasting, most creative and best looking.
- Resident & Fellow Appreciation Week: Held in mid-January, this event is filled with food, wellness activities, gifts, and of course appreciation!
- Valentine’s Day Celebration: Held on the business day closest to Valentines’ Day, stop by the GME office for candy and snacks.
- Spring celebration: Enjoy candy, snacks and a NEW Peeps diorama contest in late March in the GME office.
- Chief Resident Leadership Forum: Each spring, generally in May, rising chief residents participate in a leadership forum to discuss tips and tricks for being a successful chief.
Neurology wellness initiatives
Some of the ways the Department of Neurology supports Resident well-being are:
- Resident Wellness/Social Chief
- Resident Welcome BBQ (usually in July)
- Annual Resident Wellness Retreat usually held in August. Coverage is arranged so all residents can attend.
- Fall picnic sponsored by the Department of Neurology
- AAN Trivia nights
- Epilepsy Pizza conference
- Birthday desserts for each residents birthday
- Lunch for the monthly resident meeting
- Dinner provided for the virtual receptions resident host before each interview day.