I. Purpose of policy
This policy defines the selection processes for applicants to Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)-accredited residency and fellowship programs at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center.
II. Policy scope
This policy applies to all candidates to and staff of Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)-accredited residency and fellowship programs at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center.
Resident: Any physician in an ACMGE-accredited graduate medical education program including residents and fellows.
Discrimination: Subject to selection on the basis of race, national origin, gender, religion, age disability, marital or parental status, status as a Vietnam-era veteran, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Program: ACGME-accredited residency or fellowship graduate medical education program.
IV. Policy statement
- Selection of Residents: The selection of Residents must be free from discrimination and comply with all institutional, federal and state laws and regulations.
- Applications to Programs at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, along with required supporting documentation, must be submitted by the candidate as delineated at the Residents and Fellows Applicants page.
- Applicants meeting eligibility requirements outlined by the institution and the Program will be invited for a personal interview. Interview days include (but are not limited to) interviews with faculty and Residents, program orientations, tours of the medical center, and attendance at conferences.
- Each Program will apply its own criteria for evaluating and ranking candidates. Those criteria may include, but are not limited to:
- Review and confirmation of eligibility requirements
- Performance on standardized medical knowledge test
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Letters of recommendation from faculty
- Dean’s letter
- Medical school transcript
- The recruitment and appointment of Residents to training programs sponsored by Mary Hitchcock Memorial Hospital (MHMH) is based on, and in compliance with, the ACGME’s institutional, common and specific program requirements.
- The process of application, eligibility, selection and appointment of Residents to a Program is the responsibility of the Program Director.
- All candidates who are offered and accept positions must consent to a pre-enrollment criminal background check and pass a pre-enrollment drug screening.
- MHMH does not require that Residents sign a non-competition clause as part of the Resident Agreement of Appointment.
Specialty Specific Program Requirements. (2015-2016). Retrieved from ACGME.org.
Dartmouth Hitchcock Policy ID: 11326