I. Purpose of policy
This policy defines the criteria for promotion and/or renewal of a Resident’s appointment to an Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)-accredited residency or fellowship program at Dartmouth-Hitchcock (D-H).
II. Policy scope
The policy applies to Residents in ACGME-accredited graduate medical education programs at D-H.
Resident: Any physician in an ACMGE-accredited graduate medical education program including Residents and Fellows.
IV. Policy statement
- Each ACGME-accredited program that promotes/reappoints Residents must have a document that outlines necessary criteria regarding the promotion of Residents to a higher level of training.
- Residents must meet the academic standards and curricular requirements of the program in order to be reappointed and promoted.
- Non-renewal of appointment or non-promotion
- In instances where a Resident’s agreement will not be renewed, or when a Resident will not be promoted to the next level of training, the program must provide the Resident with written notice of intent no less than one hundred twenty (120) days prior to the expiration of the Resident’s current agreement.
- If the primary reason(s) for the non-renewal or non-promotion occur(s) within the four months prior to the end of the agreement, the program must provide the Resident with as much written notice as circumstances will reasonably allow, prior to the end of the agreement.
- Residents are allowed to implement the grievance process if the Resident receives a written notice either of intent not to renew the agreement, or of intent to renew the agreement but not to promote the Resident to the next level of training./li>
- Programs must provide Residents with a copy of the GME Grievance Policy (requires D-H intranet access) at the time of initial notification.
D-H Policy ID: 11269