Residents routinely present their research at specialty and subspecialty meetings throughout the academic year. Many have earned national and regional recognition for their work in basic science, clinical, and socioeconomic research, as well as in public health, health policy, and advocacy.
Below is a sample of residents’ recent accomplishments and publications.
2019 New England Section of the American Urological Association (AUA) annual meeting
- Lael, Gina, Kevin, Robin, Mike, Amanda, Chris O, and Eileen
2019 Sexual Medicine Society
- Lael, Kevin, Mike and Amanda presented abstracts
2020 Society of Urodynamics, Female Pelvic Medicine & Urogenital Reconstruction winter meeting
- Eileen presented a poster
2020 American Urological Association annual meeting
- Robin and Mike had abstracts accepted
2020 New England Section of the American Urological Association annual meeting
- Lael, Gina, Kevin, Robin, Amanda, Mike, Chris O and Eileen all had abstracts accepted.
2021 New England Section of the American Urological Association annual meeting
- Jeff, Eileen, Chris O, Mike, and Amanda presented abstracts
2021 Sexual Medicine Society
2022 American Urological Association annual meeting
- Kaylee presented at our first in-person AUA since the start of the pandemic
Awards and recognition
2020 STARS – Surgical Trainees
- 1st prize – Kevin Krughoff
- Honorable mention Mike Rezaee and Eileen Brandes
2019 Max K. Willscher Resident Research Prize, New England Section of the American Urological Association
Robin Djang 1st place, Lael Reinstatler 2nd place
Recent resident publications
- Rezaee ME, Pais VM. Re: Efficacy of Intramuscular Ketorolac for Preventing Renal Colic Post-Stent Removal: Randomized Controlled Trial. J Urology. 2022. PMID: Pending
- Krughoff K, Buller DM, Wu SC, Rodriguez R, Kilchevsky A, Santis WF, Sverrisson EF, Seigne JD, Wagner JR, Dagrosa, Do Commonly used Prostate Medications Alter Prostate MRI and Fusion Biopsy Performance? LM.Clin Nephrol. 2022 Jun;97(6):339-345. doi: 10.5414/CN110665.PMID: 34958298
- Gerjevic KA, Brandes E, Gormley EA, Auty SG, Strohbehn K. Trends Among Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery Fellowships and Graduates; Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2022 Jun 1;28(6):e211-e214. doi: 10.1097/SPV.0000000000001186. Epub 2022 Apr 15.PMID: 35421016
- Jones JM 3rd, Gross MS, Rezaee ME. Peculiar Prepuce: A Rare Case of Penile Lymphangioma. Urology. 2022; 6:2099090-4295(22)00345-4. PMID 3533769
- Rezaee ME, Ward CE, & Gross MS. Differences in Healthcare Expenditures, Visits, and Prescriptions by Race for Common Benign Urologic Conditions. Urology. 2022; 162:70-76. PMID: 34242630
- Heiner SM, Keihani S, McCormick BJ, Fang E, Hagedorn JC, Voelzke B, Nocera A, Selph JP, Arya CS, Sensenig RL, Rezaee ME, Moses RM, Dodgion CM, Higgins MM, Gupta S, Mukherjee K, Majercik S, Smith BP, & Myers JB. Nephrectomy After High-Grade Renal Trauma is Associated with Higher Mortality: Results from MiGUTS. Urology. 2021; 157: 246-252. PMID: 34437895
- Atwater BL, Rezaee ME, Pais VM. Re: The Economic Burden of Cystoscopy-Based Ureteral Stent Removal in the United States: An Analysis of Nearly 30,000 patients. Urology Practice. 2022; 9(1): 45-46. PMID: Pending.
- Rezaee ME, Ould Ismail AA, Okorie CL, Lynch KE, Schroeck FR. The Impact of Partial versus Complete BCG Intravescial Therapy on Bladder Cancer Outcomes in High-risk Non-muscle invasive bladder cancer (NMIBC): Implications for Global BCG Shortages. EAU (open science); 2021 (26): 35-43
- Rezaee ME, Schroeck FR. Improving Knowledge of Surveillance Practices in Non-muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer (NMIBC). American Urological Association. E-QUIPS.
- Rezaee ME, Ould Ismail AA, Okorie CL, Lynch KE, Schroeck FR. The Impact of Partial versus Complete BCG Intravescial Therapy on Bladder Cancer Outcomes in High-risk Non-muscle invasive bladder cancer (NMIBC): Implications for Global BCG Shortages. EAU (open science); 2021 (26): 35-43.
- Rezaee ME, Vollstedt AJ, Raghavan R, Monga M, Zampini A, Shah O, Krambeck A, Sur R, Thompson S, Yamany T, MD; Pais VP. MD. Stent Duration and Increased Pain in the Hours after Ureteral Stent Removal: An EDGE Multi-Institutional Survey. Can J Urol. 2021; 28(1):10516-10521.
- Rezaee ME, Alexakos SG, Taylor CE, & Santis WF. A rare case of a retroperitoneal lymphangioma causing chronic flank pain in an adult. Urol Case Rep. 2020; 9(33):101408.
- Rezaee ME, Goldwag JL, Goddard B, Bihrle W, Viazmenski A, Wilson MZ, & Seigne JD. Parastomal Hernia Development after Cystectomy and Ileal Conduit for Bladder Cancer: Results from the Dartmouth Ileal Conduit Enhancement (DICE) Project. Can J Urol. 2020; 27(5):10369-10377.
- Keihani S, Wang SS, Joyce RP, Rogers DM, Gross JA, Nocera AP, Selph JP, Fang E, Hagedorn JC, Voelzke BB, Rezaee ME, Moses RA, Arya CS, Sensenig RL, Glavin K, Broghammer JA, Higgins MM, Gupta S, Costillejo Becerra CM, Baradaran N, Zhang C, Presson AP, Nirula R, & Myers JB. External validation of a nomogram predicting risk of bleeding control interentions after high-grade renal trauma: The multi-institutional genito-urinary trauma study (MiGUTS). J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2020; epub.
- Keihani S, Gross, JA, Joyce RP, Wang SS, Rogers D, Fang E, Hagedorn JC, Voelzke B, Nocera AP, Selph JP, Rezaee ME, Moses RA, Arya CS, Sensenig RL, Glavin K, Broghammer JA, Higgins MM, Gupta S, Castillejo Becerra CM, Baradaran N, Kozar RA, Nirula R, Myers JB. The American Association for the Surgery of Trauma Renal Grading System: Should Segmental Kidney Infarction be Classified as a Grade IV Injury? Journal of Urology. Jul 2020.
- Rezaee ME & Gross MS. Response to Editorial Comment. Re: A multicenter investigation examining AUA-recommended antibiotic prophylaxis vs. non-standard prophylaxis in preventing device infections in penile prosthesis surgery in diabetic patients. Urology. 2020; 204(5):975.
- Rezaee ME, Towe M, Osman MM, Huynh LM, El-Khatib FM, Adrianne R, Broderick G, Burnett AL, Gross MS, Guise AI, Hatzichristodoulou G, Henry GD, Clavell-Hernandez, Hsieh T-C, Jenkins LC, Lentz A, Munarriz RM, Osmonov D, Park SH, Perito P, Sadeghi-Nejad H, Semples M, Simhan J, Wan R, Yafi FA. A multicenter investigation examining AUA-recommended antibiotic prophylaxis vs. non-standard prophylaxis in preventing device infections in penile prosthesis surgery in diabetic patients. J Urol. 2020; 204(5):969-975.
- Rezaee ME & Gross MS. Are We Overstating the Risk of Priapism with Oral PDE5 Inhibitors? J Sex Med. 2020; 17(8):1579-1582
- Rezaee, Ward, Brandes, Munarriz, Gross. A Review of Economic Evaluation of Erectile Dysfunction Therapies PMID: 31326359
- Li, Brandes, Chang, Leow, Chung, Wang, Eswara.Trends in penile prosthesis implantation and analysis of predictive factors for removal –PMID: 30251052
- Brandes et al, Treatment of Urethral Stricture Disease in Women: A Multi-Institutional Collaborative Project from the SUFU Research Network. 5th author. PMID: 32926460
- Brandes, Pais, Sternberg. AUA Update – Complications of PCNL
- Djang RD, Stahl, Pais VM. Informing the management of asymptomatic nephrolithiasis: Markov Decision Analysis for the 1cm stone. Urology Practice 2021. An assessment of current penile prosthesis reimbursement guidelines for insurance plans nationwide.
- Krughoff K, Munarriz RM, Gross MS.Int J Impot Res. 2021 Jan;33(1):55-58. Multicenter surgical outcomes of penile prosthesis placement in patients with corporal fibrosis and review of the literature.
- Krughoff K, Bearelly P, Apoj M, Munarriz NA, Thirumavalavan N, Pan S, Gross MS, Munarriz RM.Int J Impot Res. 2020 Nov 17 The effect of botulinum toxin on ureteral inflammation.
- Krughoff K, Anderson FL, Palisoul S, Young AL, R Pettus J, L Moodie K, Ogomo C, S Tau S, A Moses R, Havrda MC, R Chavez D.World J Urol. 2020
- Krughoff K, Kilchevksy A, Stadelmann W, Gorman T, Madden-Fuentes R. Penile Melanoma In Situ: Long Term Follow Up..Urology. 2020
- Krughoff K, Swanton A, Tundo G, Gross MS. Necrotizing Group A Strep Following Use of Penile Constriction Ring. Urology. 2020
- Luck K, Pais VM Jr. Mitigation of dorsal lithotomy related positioning injuries in super obesity. Can J Urol. 2020 Dec; 27(6):.
Follow us on Twitter: @DartmouthUro